A piece of my fiesta party décor was the faux cactus piñatas I made. They were incredibly easy to make but VERY time consuming. These little guys received a lot of compliments and some people even thought I bought them from a store so I figured I’d share the DIY steps with you.
- 2 toilet paper rolls or 1 wrapping paper roll
- Green tissue paper
Red, purple, pink or yellow tissue paper *optional for flower
- Hot glue gun
- Turn on a mindless Netflix movie… you’ll thank me when you’re on hour 3 of cutting tissue paper.
- Cut about an inch off of one of the toilet paper rolls
- Now take the piece you just cut and cut it again so that it no longer is in the shape of a circle
- Using the cut piece roll back together but slightly thinner in width (this will be your cactus’ branch). You may want to cut a little more off so that the overlap isn’t too much. Once you have to your liking glue back together so that it will not move apart.
- Take the cut piece and hot glue to the uncut toilet paper roll about 1 inch up from the bottom
- Cut a small square (about 2×2”) of tissue paper and hot glue the tissue paper to the top of your toilet paper cactus
- Cut 1 inch tall strips of tissue paper about 4 inches long (you’ll need a lot of these so just keep cutting)
- Now comes the fun part…. cut slits halfway up and spaced about a quarter of an inch apart on each piece of tissue paper
- Wrap the strips around the toilet paper and hot glue them on the top
- Keep doing so as you slightly layer piece over piece. Do this all the way to the top and on your branch as well
- If you’d like a flower on your cactus cut a 2×2” square piece of colored tissue paper and scrunch into a ball then hot glue where your branch meets the trunk of your cactus